The 66th Grammy Awards were held on February 4, 2024, at the Crypto.com Arena in Los Angeles, California. Several Nigerian artists were nominated for awards, including Burna Boy, Davido, Asake, and Ayra Starr. However, none of them won an award.
Burna Boy, who won a Grammy in 2021, was nominated for four awards: Best Global Music Album (Love, Damini), Best Global Music Performance (“Last Last”), Best Rap Performance (“My Wife”), and Best Melodic Rap Performance (“Kilometre”).
Davido was also nominated for three awards: Best Global Music Album (Timeless), Best Global Music Performance (“Feel,” “Unavailable”), and Best African Music Performance.
Asake and Ayra Starr were each nominated for one award: Best Global Music Performance (“Sungba” and “Rush,” respectively).
South African Amapiano star, Tyla, 22, was the only African artist to win a Grammy in 2024. She won the award for Best African Music Performance for her song “Water.”
The lack of wins for Nigerian artists at the 2024 Grammys was a disappointment to many fans and stakeholders. However, it is important to remember that the Grammys are just one set of awards, and they do not define the success of an artist.
Burna Boy, Davido, Asake, and Ayra Starr are all talented artists who have achieved great success in their careers. They have won numerous other awards, and they have a large and dedicated fan base.
It is likely that they will continue to be successful in the future, and it is possible that they will win Grammys in the years to come.
Here are some possible reasons why Nigerian artists did not win any Grammys in 2024:
- The competition was very strong.
- The Grammys are a subjective award, and the voters may have had different preferences.
- The Nigerian music industry is still relatively young, and it may not be as well-known to Grammy voters as other music industries.
Despite the lack of wins, there were still some positive takeaways for Nigerian artists at the 2024 Grammys:
- The fact that so many Nigerian artists were nominated is a sign of the growing popularity of Nigerian music.
- The performances by Burna Boy and Davido were well-received by the audience and critics alike.
- The exposure that Nigerian artists received at the Grammys will help to raise their profiles and reach new audiences.
Overall, the 2024 Grammys were a mixed bag for Nigerian artists. While it was disappointing that they did not win any awards, there were still some positive takeaways. It is clear that Nigerian music is on the rise, and it is only a matter of time before Nigerian artists start winning Grammys on a regular basis.